Sunday, 8 February 2015

Photography: Editing




In my recent Q&A, many of you asked about my photography, so I decided I would put together a little list of tips that I use on my photos. Above is an example of the editing process I go through, and while they might not look that different to you, I think the right one looks so much more brighter and vibrant, and more interesting to look at! I will just go through the editing stages I went through in this photo, but of course you will have to change up this guide to suit your own!

Exposure. Exposure is the brightness, and how much light is exposed in the photo. This is a tool that I use on nearly every photo, as I find that my photos look so much brighter and colourful. Do be careful though, there is a thin line between bright, and too bright (personal experience...!)

Colour temperature. I only use this occasionally, but it does look effective when I do! This is basically how warm you want the photo to look, cold or hot. As I said, because I have only used it occasionally, I can't make a judgement either way, but from personal experience it is a good tool to use for your photos.

Angle Editor. I use this to try out different angles on my photo. This is just a bit of fun, and more often than not I get a nice angle that I would have never thought of without playing around with the settings! If you see in the example image, the original is tilted left, but with a bit of editing you can get it closer and tilting right, which I think is a better angle!

Let me know if you try any of these, and do you have any editing tips?

20 comments:

  1. Oooh great tips! What photo editing software do you use? I like to play around with levels, curves, brightness/contrast, and the dodge tool on Photoshop :) Interesting though, as I never adjusted any of these for blog photos, only occasionally on the ones I take with my phone!

    Emily | ahemitsemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't use Photoshop, although it is something I would like to try! Let me know if any of these tips work out for you, you photos are already lovely though! x

      Delete
  2. Great tips Paige! I admire your photos and I was wondering how you got them to look so awesome. This a great advice. Some people say photography is all about taking photos that don't need to be edited, but I don't think so. I think photo editing is a huge part of photography, why else would so many professionals use Photoshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, there are two parts to photography: composition and editing!

      Delete
  3. What are you using the edit your photos? Photoshop?
    I'm particularly intrigued by the Angle Editor!
    I'm confused by the bottom side by side picture, have you labelled them wrong way?
    I thought the brighter one was the edited one?
    There is every chance I'm just a tard though...
    Kelsey x
    Kelstagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use any software to be honest, but one I do use quite often is Photobucket, but you can use anything really! Make sure you know the programme, because that is another thing that makes photos even better than they already are! Yes, I labelled the picture wrong - Thank you, I will fix it now! x

      Delete
  4. What software do you use to edit photographs??
    Photoshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I either use Photobucket, or my laptops built in editor!

      Delete
    2. cool..forgot to say it cool effect :)

      Delete
  5. This is amazing! Which image editors do you normally use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Paige! These tips are definitely useful, I'll be using them! :)

    neenyslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips. I've tried them out and tey make a huge difference to my photos!
    I bought the book you recommended, Picture Perfect Social Media. It arrived in the mail last night and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good ideas! The exposure compensation is one I check a lot on my camera. I also like to adjust the white balance, because it helps to make the photos look more natural, depending where I am shooting. Overall, great tips! I haven't ever tried changing the angle/tilt, I'll have to check that one out :)

    - autumn
    autumnreadsandwritesallday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it works out for you! x

      Delete
  9. Nice post, and beautiful blog!
    Check out my blog @ celiablodizar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one thing I fail to do with photo editing is go far enough. I always stop at that point just before the image becomes the right shade of bright, white light. I also can't stress how much I love the angle editor function (even though I take a zillion unnecessary shots anyway!).

    - Rambling of a Beauty Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exposure and color temperature is my best friend too! I like warmth brightness, and Curves is my best friend when it comes to editing :) Also contrast!

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Feel free to leave a comment, but please be nice! See my full commenting rules here